Located at the main campus of University of Khartoum, Faculty of Science is one of the oldest faculties of science in Africa and the Arab world. The Faculty of Science was founded in 1937 as one of the Higher Schools of Gordon Memorial College. In 1945 these schools came under a single independent administration. In 1947 the School of Science became the Faculty of Science and continued to maintain this name until the University College of Khartoum became the University of Khartoum in 1956. The faculty is composed of the following departments: Department of Botany, Department of Chemistry, Department of Geology, Department of Physics, Department of Zoology and Mathematics Unit. The faculty also houses the Ministry of Higher Education and Research Genetics and Molecular Biology Centre of Excellence, The Electron Microscope Unit and a Central Laboratory. Some departments own research stations outside of the U. of K. campuses such as the Suakin Marine Station, located at the Red Sea, Sabaloga Geological Field Station and the upcoming Sinnait Wildlife Research Station at the Dinder National Park entrance. The faculty offers honors degree for all specializations after five years of study. In addition, the faculty offers postgraduate degrees via Higher Diploma, research based master degrees, by courses master degrees and research based PhD.